14.6.14

summery makes part 1


After last nights three hour deluge of rain, thunder and lightning, following an extremely hot day, I think we can officially declare British summertime is here.

Not that anyone is complaining, it really was rather spendid and all that water on the plants after all that heat can only be a good thing.

So it's time for me to show the first of my new summer makes. I found a couple of vintage curtains to transform. The dark blue floral fabric is some lovely Sanderson fabric. A pretty table cloth and a serviette! I based the size on a bag I already have, made some lining, added a flap and a little pocket. I feel like the bag is a cross between Cath kidston and the lovely granny chic of dottie angel. I'm not sure how either of them would actually feel about that!


Lest that sound too easy, I can assure you I had a good wrestle with the lining fabric and strap! But it somehow all found it's place.


All I need now is a dusting of granny chic bravery as I step out wearing my transformed curtains, table cloth and serviette. What's that?......oh of course, that is the whole granny chic point!

Well I do love it so I shall be brave, and today's the day.


It was so nice to use up some of this fabric, I have been collecting madly. The cross stitch on the little handy pocket, inspired some more around the flap. This is a secret pocket/label for hiding secret lists in. Lists of adventurous and brave things. And maybe a shopping list too. So wish me luck as I step out with some hopeful granny chic bravery.


Oh and Miss Trissie was very happy about it too!

Have a lovely summery weekend.


25 comments:

  1. It's so pretty! I just love it. I love your little labels too, where did you get them? They're a lovely touch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely bag and I hope that you felt pleased as punch wearing it. I agree with you about bag making (or making anything) - I have had a right bloomin' time with one and felt like throwing the bloomin' thing in the bin several times! Glad that you carried on with yours
    Best wishes
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  3. Be brave, I go out with my curtain bags all the time, and the children at school all know I have a dress made of a curtain (Liberty, but a curtain nonetheless) - granny chic rocks and at least no one else will have one! X

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a fine idea for old fabric, I was mulling over the same for my recent curtain purchase - you never cease to inspire me! Chrissie x

    ReplyDelete
  5. My next door neighbour keeps giving vintage bags and this would be a lovely use for them. I love the embroidered fabric that used xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your bag is great!! It is so lovely to make something new from something old and give it a new purpose and lease on life! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a stunning bag, Heather, and I certainly do wish you the best as you step out with such loveliness on your shoulder - I'd like to meet you on the street and personally compliment you on a job well done! Love your rose too, she is sheer beauty! xoJoy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely love the bag and your use of vintage is inspired!
    Jacqui x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wish I had your skill, Heather. Really lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's gorgeous Heather, I bet you get many admiring looks!! Sarah xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE your bag Heather. I think I need to follow your example. I'm stuck between a "too big" bag and a "too small" bag at the moment....I feel like goldilocks :0)
    I should make a "just right" bag like yours.
    Jacquie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean about bag sizes, as I am only 4' 10" I can be swamped (especially with shopping bags that drag on the ground with only two items in lol).
      bag making is 'on my list' but don't have a lot of skill.....one day tho.
      xx

      Delete
  12. It's really pretty Heather! Hope you enjoyed showing it off too. X

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the lacy edging and the little name tape too... enjoy using it!
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's so pretty Heather ... I say wear it with pride! Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your bag and on my wish list are your beautiful tags.......soon I hope x

    ReplyDelete
  16. It has been ever so warm, but I do love a good thunderstorm.

    I love the dark blue fabric and your bag transformation is lovely.

    Nina x

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's lovely, a happy bag for summer :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh Heather, it is gorgeous! You clever thing :-)
    Tracey xxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yeah! To the brave and adventurous lists! You go girl!!! :)
    Keep us posted!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  20. P.S. better to include some chocolates, they help with adventurous/brave things to do :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. So beautiful, and I adore the lace edge. Perfect! Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a pretty bag. I hope you've been wearing and using it, and feeling happy every time you do. I love to see old, vintage items re-purposed into something new, it's so satisfying, x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh my goodness!!!!! That is absolutely gorgeous! GORGEOUS!!! I love everything about it, the colors, the fabric... everything! I wish I had half the talent you do!
    Much love,
    Tammy x

    ReplyDelete